November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks

Sorry to interrupt my recap of the trip, however, today is Thanksgiving and I am feeling a little sentimental and homesick. This truly is one of my favorite holidays. In a world where there is too much to do and too little time, I don’t think we stop and pause and give thanks often enough to those who help us on our journey. Also with Christmas on the horizon we often think of all that we want and don’t spend the time to marvel at what we have and how lucky we are. Finally with the state of the economy and other world issues I think that it is easier to think of what is wrong with the world as compared to all those things that are right. I do not wear rose colored glasses, things could be much better for many individuals, but what visiting other countries reminds me that those of us who live in the United States are very lucky. I am thankful for the liberty I have always known. The rights I have known as a female to attend school, vote, work, etc. The safety I have experienced with daily life (ie walking to and from school, traveling, etc). I am thankful to work in a field I truly enjoy. Furthermore I appreciate how Esteban and I have been fortunate enough to own a clinic and work with some extraordinary individuals. I am thankful for Jerry, who we have worked with in Arizona, Alaska and now Missouri, he is an extremely talented healer and a loyal friend and employee. I am thankful for Cheri who has 30 years of experience and talent as a physical therapist and a bundle of positive energy. I am thankful for Courtney who is quickly learning and developing her treatment skills and is blessed with compassion and a drive to know more. I am thankful for our newest therapist Tara who is very motivated and developing into a great therapist. I am thankful for Laura for everything she does to keep our lives as organized as they can be. I am thankful for Mellannie for her creativity at work, her attention to detail, and for preparing us for our cruise. I am thankful for Dio for her good interpersonal skills, her efficient work, and her great sense of humor. I am thankful for Ashlee for amazing ability to multitask, efficient work, and for keeping me on my toes with her sarcasm. I am thankful for Lisa who carries the weight of the clinic on her shoulders especially when I am not there. She wears many hats, puts out fires more than anyone else in the clinic, and is invaluable for me. Finally, I am thankful for my family. I am thankful for my mother Jean who has gifted me with my drive for knowledge, my compassion for those in need, my organization, and my love for nature. I am thankful for my father Bruce who has gifted me with his sense of humor, love of life, and love of exercise. I am thankful for my father in law Bill who raised a wonderful son, who has been supportive of all our ventures, and who helps us to strive for balance in our lives. I am thankful for my brother Steve who has always been my best friend, my sounding board, and my twin in many ways. I am thankful for my sister in law Jessica for her thoughtfulness, her green ideals, and being a great partner for my brother. I am thankful for my husband wonderful Esteban who knows me better than anyone, loves me, and accepts me for who I am, I could not ask for anyone better. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

No comments: