Sorry sports fans had a long day yesterday and didn't get to my computer (for shame huh?). Don't worry though I have been following the race on my phone. :)
The mushers travelled from Galena to Nulato (52 miles), Kaltag (42 miles), and Unalakleet (90 miles). The current temp is -27 degrees F.
Since my last post there is a new race leader!
Current standings are as follows:
1. Lance Mackey in Unalakleet with 12 dogs
2. Jeff King in Unalakleet with 13 dogs
3. Hans Gatt out of Kaltag with 12 dogs
4. Hugh Neff out of Kaltag with 13 dogs
5. Mitch Seavey out of Kaltag with 12 dogs
6. Ken Anderson out of Kaltag with 12 dogs
7. Sebastian Schnuelle out of Kaltag with 13 dogs
8. Ramey Smyth out of Kaltag with 13 dogs
9. John Baker out of Kaltag with 10 dogs
10. Ally Zirkle out of Kaltag with 12 dogs
Lance Mackey passed Jeff King and was the first to arrive at Unalakleet for which he won the Wells Fargo Gold Coast Award. The award includes a gold cup and $2,500 in gold nuggets.
Still a lot more race to come sports fans!